Sunday, July 27, 2014

The travails of home-search in Bangalore

Having moved recently to Bangalore, I've been searching for a home to settle in. And oh the price-jolt that I got! I thought my years of savings will get me a dream villa, but the fact is it can only buy me a 2 bhk, and that too upon compromise, if I want to immediately move in.

I've been on this painstaking search, most evenings and weekend days and nights. As reality of prices set it, I compromised from villa to 4bhk, from 4bhk to 3.5 and now 3 bhk. I've been led around by fresh-constuction agents. A very highly commendable indiahomes.com to the agents who want maximum return out of minimum effort, and the so many generally good ones in between. Through these agents or through direct interaction, I met a lot of flat owners also. And all of them, such nice people. An Infoscion, other IT people, and people whose professions I may not know. But all of them, very smart, polite and good people. All very friendly, all cooperative, patient to my questions and queries.

It's been hard work. Losing weekends just watching one apartment to another. Driving long distances to and fro for these. Falling ill, perhaps due to travel in the sun, and perhaps the smoke and dust. The mental taxing due to the plethora of options and confusions thereof. Bangalore is at the hub of construction. It was a perfect analogy of "water water everywhere, but not a sip to drink".

In the end, the most credit was to family, especially my father-in-law, who help me most in the final lap. I guess this was part-guilt as his adherence to Vastu without workarounds was the main cause of making this journey so long. But I guess in the end it might turn worth it.

Although the apartment I've currently shortlisted might most likely be a good investment, I'm not sure I'd be too happy living in it. I honestly hope I adjust and let go and be more accepting of what's arriving. And more importantly, I pray to the auspicious moments and Gods to bless the next steps most.

No comments:

I've switched to artoac1.wordpress.com

Dear reader, I've switched to WordPress upon getting the pop-up that the current Blogger app is not configured to the upgraded version ...