Saturday, February 11, 2017

Analogies of Maya

Every teacher understands that a concept is best taught with analogies. A child would not understand what and why we do 1+1=2, until it's shown the relevance with an example, say mangoes.
This becomes all the more important when explaining profound philosophies of spirituality as Maya and Brahman.
For long if your spiritual reading is from also-ran articles on spirituality as in newspapers and magazines, the oft-referred example is that of the rope appearing as the snake. Well, it's important, but yet just an incomplete analogy, even difficult to grasp in its fullness if used as the first one.
For one, that analogy is used best to explain Maya. I have seen some usage of the snake-on-rope analogy to explain Brahman, but in my current view using it thus only confuses.
There are two powers of Maya: The Projecting power and the Veiling power.
I will elaborate how the snake-on-rope analogy is used to explain Maya:
- The Projecting power is that Maya projects the rope as the snake.
- The Veiling power is that it covers the fact that's it's in reality snake.
The Projecting power in itself is not bad. If I know it's a rope, then even that rope looks like a snake,  it wouldn't bother me.
The Veiling power, the fact that Maya hides the fact that it's a rope until conscious understanding, is the problem behind understanding this life and the world around us. The feeling that it's a snake I'm seeing, freezes me and makes me act in ways I otherwise wouldn't.
This is where the example falters in my opinion. In general, once I understand that it's not a snake, just a rope, my eyes will stop seeing the snake. But this isn't how Maya works in reality. Seekers, due to the dissection of this analogy, expect that after enlightenment they'd stop seeing the world; it's not so.
I'd rather use the analogy of the mirage in a desert. The mirage is projected on the desert; the desert is veiled by the mirage. But significantly, even after you know it's not water, you still see the mirage of water. That's precisely how powerful Maya is.
This is not to downplay the analogy in itself: When the enlightened King Janaka is praised by Sage Yagnavalka, it is by calling him "fearless". The reason why we are trapped in Samsara, is because we are unable to see the Brahman behind Maya and are deluded by fear. The root cause of desire (the need to possess) is fear. The snake-on-rope analogy reassures us to rid ourselves of fear. Which is why my take is that this is an analogy to be used in the advanced phase of transcending Maya, than to understand Maya itself.

No comments:

I've switched to artoac1.wordpress.com

Dear reader, I've switched to WordPress upon getting the pop-up that the current Blogger app is not configured to the upgraded version ...