Monday, December 17, 2018

Treat a fever quicker

What I learnt from a viral fever last week, is to not treat it with medicine. If not accompanied by accompanying cough, loose motions or such symptoms, then the fastest way to treat it is with rest.

I had a fever that touched 102 degree Fahrenheit. What I was amazed to find is whenever the body felt really weak, I was also able to get half-hour naps. That is very much unlike me who is unable to otherwise sleep during the day. But last Sunday I took 3-4 such naps during the day, each time going to sleep feeling shivery and weak, and waking up better and energetic. I also slept early and still woke up at my usual time in the morning, giving myself a full night sleep of 9 hours, even if waking up in the middle at times.

The other factor was appetite. I would have small meals as the stomach felt hunger in spurts and would yet not be able to consume much. I think I had lunch a couple of times, avoided snacks, and had chai only because it was already made.

I could not take an evening bath and I think that was for the better. I'd taken a morning bath and that had triggered the temperature, but I hadn't known it then.

Taking it easy, like walking around slowly was another thing. Although I picked up and played with my children whenever I could, especially after the energizing naps.

Medicine is best avoided in my view especially the pain killers like Dolo, which have their benefits but not for this. They generate fall responses like sweat etc to fight the fever in turn giving a wrong message to the body's immunity to turn their guard down.

Another thing I learnt was not to measure temperature right after waking up. It'll always be a degree higher, don't know why. This was so the previous day and also the next morning too when I woke up to 99 degrees, and an hour later found it at 98. The fever was gone!

If I've to point to one thing, it would be the multiple naps I took. Rest is best to fight a fever!

No comments:

I've switched to artoac1.wordpress.com

Dear reader, I've switched to WordPress upon getting the pop-up that the current Blogger app is not configured to the upgraded version ...