Sunday, August 07, 2011

10 Day YOU Challenge/Quest: 7 Wants

As Swapna thought aloud at the end of her last post, shortlisting your wants to 7 is a big challenge; we all have more that are equally important!

Want is what has driven human progress. If humans had innately been happy with what they have, we would still be in crouching in the darkness of the caves and the jungles. People only quote part of what Gordon Gekko says in the film Wall Street: “Greed is Good”...but listen to the full quotation, and there’s more than meets the eye: “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures, the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind”.
I agree, and I believe the main question is one of balance, or the ‘pendulum-effect’, where neither extreme is right, or good in the long run.

So here’s my list of wants, almost indulgences..

- Cars: A BMW for work, a minivan for family, and an SUV, well for the mountains?? Hope maine zyaada nahi maanga :-)

- Flexible job: A job or career which isn’t concerned with where I am; so I can be in India or a tropical country during winter, and in Europe or US in summer :-D

- Home(s): Well, since I’d be visiting multiple places in a year, I’d rather have a home in each. Makes sense right. ;-) But ya, I dream of having a mansion with a garden. I have a vivid picture of how it’d look. I just hope Jyothi agrees :-)

- Poetry Club: I write poetry for my satisfaction, but it really isn’t introspective. Neither am I trained. So I want to start a club of like-minds where we can share our poetry, interpret it in different ways, and have debates and discussions on it, and form opinions. The poetry could be on any topic, even current affairs. We could then periodically choose some selected ones and publish the consensus of our interpretations. Think about it, this could be used as a medium to spread awareness. Who knows, it might get to be a catchy trend.

- A Fulfilling family life: I’m not too much of an outdoorsy person. Give me a choice and I’ll go out only for a quick run :-D..I find more joy within the home, doing things of my own, but also with family. And want to have it all, like everyone else, happy spouse, happy kids and happy parents.

- Lead something with meaning: It could be a country (ironically, the tune “main zyaada nahi maangta” is playing in my head right now..), a company (..still playing..), or even a social organization (..hmm..stopped now).
But seriously speaking, something where I can put my vision in action, and leave behind something of value.

- Find my purpose: Every life is born to fulfill some role, some purpose. We all have our unique talents, passions, gifts which we are uniquely good at. I want to know what that is for me, and make it a full-time career. Do good at it. Leave my mark in that field, footprints on the sands of time.

4 comments:

Sonz said...

I would love a flexible job too - flexi timing and flexi locations :-) so if you find one , let me know asap :-)
Just yesterday we heard a few parts of a sermon when we visited the temple and it really made me think if we truly devote anytime of our life into exploring the human consciousness and our true potential - hopefully we'll get there someday !
Overall a very nice post .

Swapna said...

Lovely list. And I hope you get whatever you want.
My fav from your list is pt.7. So important to find your purpose in life. Me too still finding one!:)

Deeps said...

Love the flexi-job one ! Me too in line if you find one !!!! For the poetry club, try meetup.com - you'll surely find one there or you should start one ! I am sure, you'll find people who will be interested !

I agree with Swaps, finding a purpose in life has to be the most important want. I wonder how many people really figure that out. How does one find out? Maybe its like the DTPH where God gives an ishara ! Hopefully I will realize mine before my time's up !

Diary-RTOAC said...

Thank you all.

I've switched to artoac1.wordpress.com

Dear reader, I've switched to WordPress upon getting the pop-up that the current Blogger app is not configured to the upgraded version ...