Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Sequence of Mahavakyas

We know the four Mahavakyas of Vedanta which are meant for contemplation on our reality and oneness with Brahman.

I have also thought and felt that there is a sequence in which these need to be meditated upon and realised.
The Mahavakyas also display a sequence of maturity. Below is the way I would sequence them in terms of profoundness and depth of meaning, from lower to higher:

1) Ayam Atmava Brahman: My Atman is Brahman. There is no enforcement of the fact that I am the Atman alone. I could well consider myself a combination of Atman (soul), Mind and body. And that one of these components (Atman) is Brahman.

2) Prajnanam Brahman: My consciousness is Brahman. That takes me to the next level of depth. We all feel conscious. And a sense of individuality. Also Prajnanam means a lot more, at the superficial level itself I understand that I and this feeling of consciousness, is Brahman. This consciousness some may even associate with the brain our mind. So now I understand that part is Brahman. I may still feel I have other parts as body and soul, of which soul also is Brahman. It should lead me to contemplate that if two parts of mine are Brahman, I might be the combination and two separate parts of soul and mind. And thus inferring, my body also could be Brahman. And that I'm Brahman as a hold. But is that so? The intellect might look for validation if the mind is thinking too much.

3) Tat Tvam Asi: You are That. Voila! This is the validation the intellect was looking for. So I am that Brahman. It clearly implies that. Isn't it?

4) Aham Brahmasmi: I am Brahman. Reinforces the idea and specifically calls it to be a fact.

So Aham Brahmasmi is the culmination of all the Mahavakyas. But to understand it's true import, the previous Mahavakyas are equally important to be meditated upon, and first!

No comments:

I've switched to artoac1.wordpress.com

Dear reader, I've switched to WordPress upon getting the pop-up that the current Blogger app is not configured to the upgraded version ...