Friday, December 21, 2012

80% is Enough

To leave your footprint in sand, you have to be unique, and arguably the best in one thing. And like most in this world, I seek that one thing for this life. At this point I tend to notoriously get philosophical, that I have lived more lives, and my search is but food the purpose of just the current life.

But in the midst of this search, as I stumble upon and evaluate all that there is in this world, this life, I'm amazed. Our life has as many dimensions, there are as many pursuits as there are species in this world. As I walk this journey, I feel the need to absorb, revel at all that I like, and not just a one. That would, in my opinion  make a balanced life. I hate to know people who are masters in one dimension, but hideously villainous in something else. 100% in one but 0% in something else important is not done.

The question becomes more pertinent to my life today as I think over the guidance I give my child as his father. What would I want for him? Would I be happy to learn that he is a genius at work but a horrible husband? Would I be willing to trade that. And the more I think over it, the more I am convinced that balance is the essence. 80% in all dimensions is just perfect really!

The thinking leads me also to appreciate the system of education in the US, where priority/credits are provided to every aspect. Versus the system if education I grew up under in India. I am not close to it, and the US system may have flaws, and the system in India, vastly changed. But the concept is what I speak of.

It would really be perfect if Shravan is 80% in studies, sport, art and debate. I believe that really is the recipe to be complete (100% if you will)  in health, character, intelligence and personality. Which really, is what will make him a happy, and indeed, successful man.

No comments:

I've switched to artoac1.wordpress.com

Dear reader, I've switched to WordPress upon getting the pop-up that the current Blogger app is not configured to the upgraded version ...