Monday, November 18, 2013

A Horror Story!

I landed at this wedding or wedding-reception, I am not sure which. It was of my college batchmate Jignesh. I was happy to be invited and had taken many family member - I remember a lot of women - and at least one close friend Ram along. It's here the strange event first started. The attender at the entrance asked for the invitation card, to confirm my name was among those invited. I asked one of those in our group for the card, and it was soiled! Someone began telling some excuse, but it didn't matter...my name was not visible on it. Blotchy green where it was meant to be! The attendant, perhaps overzealous, was not willing to take from our attire that we couldn't well be free-loafers.

A minor argument ensued. I was insisting I knew Jignesh; he was my college batchmate and if the attender were to take me to him, Jignesh'll recognize me. The attender stood his ground, while the ladies in our group began to lose patience and started murmuring. Frustrated, I just pushed my way into the marriage hall, the attender trying to hold me back. The hall was not filling yet. We seemed likely to be one of the first to arrive. Many of the chairs still lay folded. I rushed towards the stage where I noticed someone seated surrounded by some people. The face was not visible but it was clear that'd be the groom. As I approached near calling out to Jignesh, lo and behold! It turns to be Suhas, not Jignesh there! How can that be? Now, Suhas too was a college class mate, but he looks at me as if unable to recognize me. I tell him my name but that doesn't seem to help. Somewhat shocked, I start to walk back, this time the attender just keeping close to me. Did I mix up whose wedding I was attending? Or have I mixed up the names in memory. I still can swear I remember the face, it was Suhas not Jignesh. But I could've sworn the invitation card had Jignesh's name on it. And I think I even saw Jignesh's name at the entrance. How could it then be Suhas at the groom's chair? And why didn't he recognize me?

Half-way on the way back towards the entrance, I hear some loud commotion coming from the entrance. I and the attender rush, only to see the bride laying in blood. The marriage had been doomed!! And that's when I saw Her-Charu- for the first time! An angelic, voluptuous beauty. Dressed in light green top and a skirt, Her beauty was a distraction to the situation at hand. She was sitting beside the bride, with an intense expression. But somehow that expression didn't look shocked or scared to me, like that of the other ladies around. Had this lady killed the bride, no one was sure. And yet, the bride seemed to have been gutted by a knife, that was nowhere to be seen.

Ram said we'd had enough, it was time to leave. And so we did. It's one thing to be confused as in a dream, but another to see death in front of your eyes. And I kept feeling sorry for Suhas/Jignesh (in that frame of mind, I didn't cross-check what name was really written at the entrance).Things hadn't gone well that day, for really anyone.

******************

I do not know when, I met Her again. But the next I remember is meeting her in green fields. She was a tanned beauty, with glowing skin like former Bollywood heroine Smita Patil. I guess I remember this meeting, for it was the turning point. These fields I was meeting her at was next to the hill where her home was located. An idyll location, I always thought, up a hill, with a beautiful view of green and sun. But I never had visited her home yet. Apparently, after this encounter, while I was walking back to the highway, a friend who was driving past, saw me walking. I'd told him this is where Charu lived so he knew why I was there, and decided to just drive by. Apparently, upon driving a little further, he glanced up the hill and noticed Charu walking into her home. But then he claims a strange thing happened. When she closed the door, all the curtains, at least all the ones visible to him, seemed to push at the glass windows. An engineer himself, he found this very strange. If the wind was really causing this, then this should've happened when the door was open, and not quite some time after the door was closed. It was as if matter had converted to a force inside...

*****************

I must have visited a hypnotist, or friends might have taken me to a psychologist to forget Charu, for I don't remember how I took it, or what sequence of events occurred before that final day...

I remember going into Charu's home without her permission. She'd never wanted me to come there. Maybe I harbored an ill-omen, for I had taken my friends along, whom I asked to wait half-way on the way up to the hill. There was lush green grass and they could rest, although they preferred to stay alert. Some friends who were girls were also with us. Maybe they thought there could be a fight, and they would be helpful consoling her thereafter.

I went inside to confront Her. While I don't remember what was the original reasons for the confrontation, I remember I had bigger reason when I opened the door. There was no furniture in the house. It was this huge, empty hall with glass panes, curtains partly covering the view outside. Charu seemed to walk in from the another room. She must have got upset. I equally must have asking her what is all this. Whose house is this, and why is it empty. I must have cast all the doubts my friends had, I don't really remember the conversation or quarrel, because of the impact of events thereafter in my mind.

She got very very mad. Surprisingly not at me, but my friends. Upon learning they were outside, she ran out, with nothing less than a huge kitchen knife in hand. And what happened thereafter I don't want to recount. I remember watching helplessly, in shock, and just plunking down to the ground in disbelief. Here was Charu, mad in expression, slashing and killing, there was blood all around. She somehow seemed to be very strong, for none of the guys were able to hold her back or control her. She was easily overpowering and throwing them around.

I got to my senses, something had to be done. Something had snapped, and first thing was she'd to be controlled. But how? She seemed just too strong. Now that engineer-friend who was well-read about the psychic forces, and who'd convinced me that the blasting curtains didn't seem right, had also told me that sometimes when psychic force takes over, humans are able to do things which are normally physically impossible. So I knew running towards her would only get myself killed. Yet, something had to be done, but what, and how...

And that's when I realized. There was something strange about this madness in Charu. She was running after, and hurting, only the women among my friends. What, really? Yes that's what I was seeing. The guys were being thrown away. For some reason, she was not hurting any of the men. I had to take my chances. At least my life is perhaps not at risk, and some lives could be saved. I ran towards Her. She heard the running footsteps, and turned around. Our eyes met. She was breathing heavily, her face sweaty. But the eyes had that same intense look. Not one of fear, but that of a hunter, a mix of alertness, calmness and intensity. Seeing it was me perhaps, she didn't attack me. And seemed to calm down. But I didn't see it then. I was running tense towards her, not knowing what to expect. So the first thing I did upon reaching close, was to snatch the knife from her hands, which she didn't seem to resist, and plunge it in her stomach!!

Her expression never changed, tired sweating face and intense, and this time reddening eyes. She fell to the ground. Actually, I don't remember anything after that.

*************

Today as I sit here writing, trying to piece together the happenings, I think I can explain what was happening. But still not the when, or the why. Charu was crazily in love with me. Way before I had even seen her. At the wedding hall, because of perhaps the huge group with me, she thought it was I who was getting married. And anyways, didn't want to take chances. She just killed the bride-to-be. That last time we argued, she thought the girls among my friends are trying to break us up, take me away from her. And so in her madness she went about attacking them. Well, at least these seem to be the reasonable explanations.

But there is one last thing that continues to confound me. My friends refuse to talk about Her. Like I said, I must've been taken through some psychotherapy or I might have agreed to hypnotism at the time, to forget this entire episode. I don't remember any of my friends missing, or maybe even that was taken care of by the mind-treatment.
But much more crucially, no one wants to confirm that she is dead. Now why is that. Wouldn't it be more relieving to me, and to them, to readily assure me of that? That they refuse to confirm makes me think, that somewhere, most probably in some mental hospital, she's alive, and waiting, to be with me...

No comments:

I've switched to artoac1.wordpress.com

Dear reader, I've switched to WordPress upon getting the pop-up that the current Blogger app is not configured to the upgraded version ...